Ham and Cheese Pie

*The single gal I am, I just made a small pie for myself*

  • *Oh, and my pie is quite pale 'cause my oven is dumb...only bottom heat...well, the bottom is real crispy though...*

  • The cast of characters
  • 12 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
  • 1 cup cubed fully cooked lean ham
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) cubed or shredded swiss cheese
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • a tad ground nutmeg
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • some white wine to taste
Directions

1. Spritz one sheet of phyllo dough with butter-flavored spray. Place in a 9-in. pie plate coated with cooking spray; allow one end of dough to overhang edge of plate by 3-4 in. (Until ready to use, keep phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent drying out.) Repeat with remaining phyllo, overlapping the sheets (staggering the points around the plate) and spritzing with butter-flavored spray between each layer.
2. Combine ham, cheese and onions (I actually added some fresh mushrooms as well), and then spoon them into crust.
3. In a bowl combine eggs, milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg, garlic and wine. And pour over ham mixture.
4. Fold edges of dough over filling toward center of pie plate. Spritz edges with butter-flavored spray.
Cover edge of crust with foil. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Remove foil. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 10-20 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. 
5. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.

This can be made ahead really great!

*I cut mine too early, its not really stiff yet*

For more great recipes visit Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays and Tasty Tuesday.


Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Looks great! I think this would be well accepted by my fam! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's comfort food if I've ever seen comfort food. We're having some chilly weather here in the desert today. I might have to make this before we hit 80 next week. :-) Thanks for sharing.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! Might be worth a try for my family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. I found you via another blog - and OHH MY that pie you made looks soooo YUMMY! I suck in the kitchen, but maybe I will give this a try. Obviously, the name Katie doesn't automatically bring awesome culinary skills. :) Too bad.

    ReplyDelete